Bring your Recipes to Life with Falksalt!
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 5-7 cups of bread flour, white or wheat will work too (can use more if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon shortening (or butter)
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted (to top bread)
- Natural Falksalt (to top bread)
- Place the yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Pour the warm water (not too hot) over the yeast mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes, or until nice and bubbly.
- Combine melted butter, sugar, evaporated milk and salt into a large mixing bowl. When your yeast mixture is ready add them together and mix.
- If you are using a stand mixer put on your bread hook and then pour in 3 cups of flour. If not you can stir/kneed it as well. Then add in 1 cup of flour at a time and mix. When you get to 5 cups of flour in the bowl, add in 1/2 cup more of flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides. You’ll know it’s ready when your fingers no longer stick to the dough.
- Then cover the ball of dough and sides of the bowl with shortening and cover the bowl with a warm towel. Set by the window and allow it it rise (about 1.5 hours). When it has risen over the bowl punch it down and place on a floured surface.
- Kneed the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut dough into two pieces and roll them out into a rectangle. Roll the dough up and tuck the ends under. Then place into 2 greased bread pans.
- Let the bread rise again, and when it looks like a good loaf of bread place them in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. When the bread is done, coat the top with butter and remove onto a cooling rack.